Jenny Dictionary: Book Love

Oct 28, 2011
In anticipation for October's Reading list post that will be posted on Monday, I would like to share with you something called book love.  A good friend of mine told me about book love, but in actuality she was just putting into words what I have felt many-a-time when reading. She has given me permission to put Book Love in the Jenny Dictionary.

Book Love: n. The relationship one forms whilst reading a book. This can be in form of a one night stand or a long-lasting relationship. ~ Julie
If you know me at all, you know that I. LOVE. to. read.

I share a few reasons why in the September Reading List post.  There are many times that I become so engrossed in a book (especially a series) that I feel that I know the characters. So much in fact, that when I'm done reading the book I "miss" them.  I feel like something is missing now that I don't get to catch up with them and see what's going on in their life.  This seems hard to explain, unless you've too felt this way.

Some books give the satisfaction of a long caring relationship. One example off the top of my head would be Pride and Prejudice by the brilliant Jane Austin.   P&P took me a bit to finish it, and during that time there were some great bonding moments. Ahhhh. Mr. Darcy.

Ok back to Book Love.  Other books provide a one night stand. A book such as this tears through your life quickly and leaves you wanting more.  Watch out for these, sometimes they come in the disguise of a series. You think they will provide for you the caring relationship you want, but noooo.  The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and The Mockingjay all by Suzanne Collins were the one night stands disguised in long-lasting relationship dust jackets.  I zipped right through those babies and couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one. And then I was done. 

Now don't get me wrong whether it is a one night stand or a long-lasting relationship, I love them both.

What are some of your one night stands???

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are my favorite! :) Not a fan of spam, the fake meat or fake comment. Your comment will appear after I click ok.