Book Review time!!

Oct 18, 2012
Its that time!!  The part of the show where I share my thoughts about my recent readings.

You've missed this haven't you?
Of course you have!

A review of the three books I received for my unbirthday.

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall

An adorable story that is geared toward 8-12 year olds, but I found it charming and funny.  
"Meet the Penderwicks, four different sisters with one special bond. There’s responsible, practical Rosalind; stubborn, feisty Skye; dreamy, artistic Jane; and shy little sister Batty, who won't go anywhere without her butterfly wings." ~ About the Penderwicks 
The family is vacationing for the summer at a little cottage called Arundal.  Of course Arundal is on a much larger estate owned by the uptight and cranky Mrs. Tifton, who does not enjoy loud and exuberant children playing in her precious gardens.  The four sisters are full of adventure and there might be a little mischief in their path.  They quickly befriend the mysterious boy they saw in the window of the grand mansion upon their arrival and proceed to have a summer they will never forget.  

The Penderwicks is the first of  five book series (three are currently written and published). The other books in the series so far are The Penderwicks on Gardam Street and The Penderwicks at Point Mouette.


Full Speed by Janet Evanovich and Charlotte Hughes 

  This is the third book in what I refer to as the "Full series".  Jamie Swift is on the hunt. For the biggest story of her career that is.  And who should be in the middle of this story but the sexy annoying millionaire Max Holt.  She convinces *uhem* him to have her as partner in exposing the crooked (with possible mob ties) minister.  Much like Stephanie Plum, Jamie finds herself in bizarre situations and trouble...a lot of trouble.  But what else is new.
I love Jamie's spunky personality and determination to make sure she's in on the action. 

 

The Cat Who Smelled a Rat by Lilian Jackson Braun
This series has been on my maybe list for a while and now I can officially cross it off.  EVERYONE owned a cat.  I get that some people like cats and sure it says cat in the title, so I expected a few of the furry creatures to be in the book.  But why did everyone need to own one.  I had my cousin read it too, because she is a cat person.  She owns two, so maybe she would appreciate the book more.  Not so much.  Then the main two Koko and Yum Yum help solve the mystery by giving their owner little cryptic messages through their behavior? Sorry Ms. Braun, it's just not doing it for me.

So about the book... The next exciting event for the little town of Moose County is "The Big One", that would be the big first snow for the Alaskan town.  So when fires start breaking out at some of the historical mines and someone is murdered the townspeople are all abuzz with the latest gossip.  Is it Arson?  An accident?  Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum are leaning towards arson.  How are the two related and how could something like this happen in the perfect small town?

Maybe you will have a different point of view than me.  Let me know if you have read any of the other "The Cat Who..." series and if they are in the Amazing, It was ok, or Blah category.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are my favorite! :) Not a fan of spam, the fake meat or fake comment. Your comment will appear after I click ok.