Oh great! It's Mr. Collins. -- Love lessons from Pride and Prejudice

Jan 10, 2013
Last night I popped in Pride and Prejudice to pass some time while I needed to complete some tedious tasks.  As I was fluttering about the house, finishing the dishes, making my dinner, and so on, I stopped mid-flutter and just stared at the TV with disbelief on my face. 

Mr. Collins had just proposed to Lizzie.  And there was poor Lizzie having to turn him down, because let's face it, he's Mr. Collins.  And even though she tried to be nice about it, it was no good.  She just lays it all out for him and leaves.  Sure he has a job and can provide a comfortable living, but he is basically just looking to get married and doesn't care all too much to who.

I have watched this movie at least a dozen times, so it was no shock to me what was taking place in the Bennet family room.  But when Mr. Collins managed to trap Lizzie alone so he could propose, I couldn't help but think that I knew exactly how she was feeling.

I am lucky enough to be dealing with my own "Mr. Collins" of late.  *Sigh.  He has a job and seems a respectable sort of person, but from what I have seen he's really just looking for a girl to marry.  Maybe I'm being a little too harsh, but I don't think I'm wrong.  

And like Lizzie, the subtle hints that this isn't going to work out, just aren't doing the trick.  It's to the point where I get to flat out tell him that he needs to move on.  

Lovely.

Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to this.....at all.  I believe in being honest with people, but being honest can be so uncomfortable sometimes.  Yuck.

 The moral of the story....
You have to go through Mr. Collins to find your Mr. Darcy.

So until my Mr. Darcy comes along, I guess I get to deal with my very own {hopefully not too many} Mr. Collins.

1 comments:

  1. Stacey said...:

    True story. (but that sure is a good moral!)

Post a Comment

Comments are my favorite! :) Not a fan of spam, the fake meat or fake comment. Your comment will appear after I click ok.